Ham is a type of pork that has been cured, smoked, or cooked. It is a popular food that is enjoyed all over the world and can be served in a variety of ways, including as a main course, in sandwiches, and as a topping for pizzas and salads.
One of the main concerns people have when it comes to eating ham is the number of calories it contains. The calorie content of ham can vary depending on the type of ham, how it is prepared, and how it is served. In this article, we will explore how many calories are in ham and discuss some of the factors that can affect the calorie content of this popular meat.
How Many Calories in Ham?
The number of calories in ham depends on the type of ham and how it is prepared. Here is a breakdown of the calorie content of different types of ham:
- Sliced deli ham: One slice of deli ham (28 grams) contains about 35 calories.
- Ham steak: A single ham steak (about 113 grams) contains about 170 calories.
- Canned ham: A single serving (112 grams) of canned ham contains about 180 calories.
- Ham roast: A 3-ounce serving (85 grams) of roasted ham contains about 160 calories.
- Ham hock: A single ham hock (about 113 grams) contains about 190 calories.
It’s important to note that these are just rough estimates and the actual calorie content of ham can vary depending on the specific brand and how it is prepared. For example, ham that is coated in a sugary glaze or served with high-calorie sides will have a higher calorie content than plain, unadorned ham.
Factors That Affect the Calorie Content of Ham
There are several factors that can affect the calorie content of ham, including the type of pork used, how it is cured, and how it is cooked. Here are a few factors that can influence the calorie content of ham:
- Type of pork: The calorie content of ham can vary depending on the type of pork used. Ham that is made from lean cuts of pork will have a lower calorie content than ham made from fattier cuts of pork.
- Curing method: The way that ham is cured can also affect its calorie content. Ham that is cured with sugar or honey will have a higher calorie content than ham that is cured with salt or other sugar-free curing agents.
- Cooking method: The way that ham is cooked can also influence its calorie content. Ham that is baked or grilled will have a lower calorie content than ham that is deep-fried or coated in a sugary glaze.
- Serving size: The calorie content of ham also depends on the serving size. A larger serving of ham will have a higher calorie content than a smaller serving.
Is Ham Healthy?
Despite its high calorie content, ham can be a part of a healthy diet when consumed in moderation. Ham is a good source of protein, which is essential for building and repairing tissues and supporting the immune system. It is also a good source of nutrients like niacin, vitamin B6, and phosphorus.
However, it’s important to keep in mind that ham is high in sodium and can contribute to high blood pressure if consumed in excess. It is also high in saturated fat, which can increase the risk of heart disease if consumed in large amounts. To make ham a healthier choice, opt for leaner cuts of pork and choose ham that is cured with salt or other sugar-free curing agents.
In addition to the calories, it is important to consider the nutritional value of ham. Ham is a good source of protein and provides several essential vitamins and minerals, including niacin, vitamin B6, and phosphorus. However, it is also high in sodium and may not be suitable for people on a low-sodium diet.
In conclusion, the number of calories in ham varies depending on the type of ham, the cooking method, and the amount of fat present in the meat. A 3-ounce serving of cured ham contains approximately 150-200 calories, while a 3-ounce serving of uncured ham contains approximately 100-150 calories. A 3-ounce serving of cooked ham contains about 70-100 calories. It is important to consider the nutritional value of ham in addition to the caloric content and to choose a type of ham that fits with your dietary needs and goals.